FREEDOM OF PRESS IN PAKISTAN
- Freedom of expression is a basic human right.
- Press: fourth Pillar of state.
- An antagonistic relationship between media and Government.
- Pre-requisite for democracy.
2. Constitutional provision and Guarantees:
- Article 19.
- Constitution of Pakistan guarantees the freedom of expression subject to reasonable restriction.
- Judicial Assurance.
3. Constituents of the Freedom of press:
- The Honest Braker role of media.
- Freedom of Expression
- Freedom of press. Print, Electronic
- Freedom of speech.
- Free from every pressure from government and Agencies.
- Freedom of opinion formation.
4. Functions of media (What should be)
- Education masses
- Create awareness.
- Show real picture of society.
- Invoke public interest in affairs/policies of government.
- Makes the general masses aware of the fundamental rights and duties.
- Create awareness about world scenario.
5. Freedom of press in Pakistan:
- Past: Freedom of press is a pre-requisite for democracy: Democracy could not flourish in Pakistan partly due to controlled media.
- PEMRA 2001: Electronic Media new birth.
- Multiple private channels challenged the monopoly of only government channel.
- 3rd 2007: Emergency promulgated for 48 days ruined the efforts of electronic media.
6. Hazards being faced by Pakistani media print and electronic:
- Political instability
- Indifference attitude of masses towards the affairs of government.
- Pressure from government institutions
- Lack of funding
- Economic pressures/ problems.
- Military interventions.
7. Why hazards being created:
- Curb the free media
- Conceal the faults of government from public.
- To stop educational process of public through electronic media.
- To stop the process of democratization media was presenting the real picture prevailed in the society.
8. Role ought to be played by parliament and judiciary:
- In order for a media to be effective parliament and judiciary must play their part.
9. Press in tribal areas:
- Totally paralyzed
- Islamic militants
- Tribal elders
- Government of Pakistan.
10. Role played by Pakistan electronic media within last few year:
Everybody felt the difference.
- Created political awareness.
- Developed power of opinion making in general masses.
- People started taking interest in state affairs.
- People realized the importance of education.
- Government officials recognized their duties towards state as well as public.
- Media made government officials realize their status as public servant.
11. Responsibilities of media some obliterated by media:
- To show the real picture.
- Be critical to certain extent.
- Avoid exaggeration.
- Be careful about national integrity.
- Also show good initiatives taken by the government.
- Not to be a party.
- Impartial and unprejudiced behavior.
- Not to represent the particular section of society.