PAKISTAN AT CROSSROADS
Types of challenges that Pakistan is currently facing:
- Energy crisis
- Poor Governance
- Weak democratic institutions
- Crippling economy
- Political challenges (rigging and sit-in issues)
- Institutional clash
- Poor law and order situation
- Strained relations with the U.S.
- Problems with neighbouring countries
- Indo-Afghan related challenges
- Global isolation
- Low level of Foreign Direct Investment
Causes of these challenges:
- Poor management of resources
- Poor foreign policy
- Power politics
- Lack of accountability
- Weak Judicial System
- Poor education system
- Poor understanding of religion
- Lack of access to health
- Politicians give preference to personal interest over national interest
- Election Commission failed to hold free and fair previous General Elections.
- Inconsistent policy to contain terrorism by the successive governments
- Imbalance of trade and foreign debts.
- Involvement of foreign countries in the domestic affairs of Pakistan.
Impacts of these challenges:
- Rising poverty
- Tarnish image of Pakistan world wide
- Increasing terrorism
- Shifting of Industry to other countries.
- Rising unemployment
- Economic growth is suffering due to political instability and weak governance
- Turmoil and chaos in the society. Rate of crime is increasing due to weak accountability and poor justice system
- Losing international respect.
- Increasing international pressure to eliminate terrorism and other issues.
- Losing voice at international forums.
Steps taken by the Government to meet these challenges:
- Establishing friendly relationships with foreign countries
- Exploiting resources to meet energy crisis.
- Establishing anti-terrorism force
- Dialogue with the political parties in order to come out from serious political challenges.
- Efforts are being made for electoral reforms
- Establish good relationships with the institutions.
- Other efforts
- National Action Plan
- Judicial activism by Supreme Court
- Proactive approach by NAB
Suggestions to meet Current Challenges
- Government should resolve all political differences through dialogue instead of using power
- Youth development program should be introduced
- Empower anticorruption agencies
- Effort should be made to improve literacy rate as well as quality of education
- Conducive business environment be provided to foreign companies.
- Government should established friendly relations with the institutions of the country
- Efforts should be made to address trade imbalance
- Progressive taxation be introduced in order to reduce dependency on foreign debts.
- Independent Election Commission should be established.
- Natural resources should be exploited efficiently
- Provinces should be given their due rights as stated in the 18th amendment.